What could be more fun than exploring the science and geography of Music? And the younger we start, the better! In this course, we will do the following:
- Experiment with how sound works, research what makes higher and lower pitches, and make simple musical instruments.
- Investigate the names of pitches and rhythms and discover how to use them.
- Travel into Solfège Land, where we will learn to sing songs in Music Language, and use Kodaly-Curwen signs to examine the patterns of songs with our hands.
- Learn to play songs on our class instrument. Students will begin playing songs on Day 1 and explore how to transfer these songs to other instruments in the home.
- Compose our own short songs, writing both melody and lyrics.
We will also work on these life skills:
- Handling mistakes calmly, and learning how to turn them into opportunities.
- Opening the “practice toolbox” and testing out ways to learn efficiently.
What to Expect:
- Music-learning should be fun and encouraging, so the class will be taught with a lively emphasis on games, hands-on activities, and group interaction.
- Classes are taught workshop-style, and will last between 30-45 minutes, in order to give the children plenty of time to explore activities, play music, and share ideas.
- Homework will be due once or twice a week, requiring on average 5-10 minutes per assignment, and will consist of practicing short songs and making videos of them, handwriting with pencil on worksheets, and occasionally playing online learning games.
Prerequisite: No previous experience needed.
Follow-Up: After completing this course, students entering 2nd grade will be prepared for the Music Detectives course. Younger students will benefit from an additional year of Music Explorers, deepening their understanding as they delight in mastering skills.
- Musical instrument to purchase: Ennbom Desk Bells
- Free account to sign up for: Noteflight.com (personal account, not student account)
- WIDE Landscape Pad or Landscape Notebook, college-ruled: available on Amazon, RainbowResource.com, and OfficeDepot.com. On Amazon, check the 2-pack cost, because it may be less than the single pad cost.
- 4 non-breakable cups (plastic or aluminum)
- Curriculum will be provided by the teacher.